PLL Episode 5x18 - Oh, What Hard Luck Stories They All Hand Me
Clues from the Episode that Aria is A
Aria is not happy when Spencer shows up and shows her Alison's visitor log from the jail. It seems that Mike Montgomery has signed in and visited Alison on more than one occasion. With Mike being distant and cold, and also acting angry and suspicious toward Aria lately, this is a huge concern to her. Spencer tells Aria she has to find out what Mike has been up to.
Detective Holbrook is discussed in this episode by several of the characters. Their is speculation as to whether he is really helping Ali or not, and why he was suspended from the police force. Perhaps he had a different connection to the case besides a connection with Ali? Hanna informs them that Holbrook was suspended for "inappropriate behavior", and there are rumors that he tampered with Ali's polygraph test.
At home, Mike is watching old black and white movies. Apparently, Mona gave him a list of movies to watch and he is slowly working his way through the list. Aria comments that Mona was smart, and Mike says that she was TOO smart. This is a clue toward Aria being A. Aria has always been shown as the character who loves to watch old movies. Now Mona has Mike investigating by watching a list of old movies. Maybe Mona realizes that Aria was inspired by these old movies and that there are clues to her guilt in them.
When Aria follows Mike into the woods, Mike confronts her about it. He tells Aria "Nobody is giving me orders anymore and YOU STOP FOLLOWING ME". Later Aria assures the girls that Mike won't visit Ali in jail again and Spencer wants to know how she can be so sure. Aria tells them that SHE TOLD Mike not to go so he won't. Looks like Aria is USED to Mike following her orders and that he is used to her following him too. Mike's anger toward Aria and his behavior indicate that Aria has had control over him in the past and he does not trust her.
Leslie, Mona's friend, takes a book from Mona's room that she says is something of Mona's that she would want as a keepsake since Mona's grandfather would read to them from it. Later, when Mike sees Leslie carrying the book he freaks out saying they can't just take Mona's things and takes the book back to Mona's house. At Mona's house, Hannah discovers the cassette tape in the book's binding. She takes the tape but is then followed as she leaves.
Hanna tells Aria that Leslie told her that she was on the phone with Mona the night she died, when she heard Mike's voice interrupt her. When Lesle finds out that Hanna told Aria about Mike she is concerned and wishes that Hanna has not told Aria this. I wonder why she wouldn't want Aria to know? she barely knows Aria. To us, these clues all look like Mona might still be alive and that Mike may have helped her fake her death in some way and is now trying to set up A to reveal her true identity. And all of the subtle clues are pointing to the possibility that they all think Aria could be A and should not be trusted with information. Regardless of the reason, Leslie obviously does not trust Aria and must have been warned about her by Mona.
Songs from the Episode
- Afloat by Storyman Lesli, a friend of Mona's , is here and looking for Spencer.
- Girls Chase Boys by Ingrid Michaelson Spencer asks Johny about his work for Ezra. Emily asks Talia if she's feeling better after calling in sick.
- I Can Just Imagine by Zach Sofine Hanna & Emily talk about Holbrook and his suspension from the police force.
- Harlot by Misun Flashback to when Mona tells Hanna what she would wish for if she have three wishes.
- Falling Down by Xavier & Ophelia Mike meets Leslie.
- Fever by Young Galaxy Spencer helps Johny with his painting project.
- Evermore by Barcelona Johny shows Spencer his invention which Spencer thinks is genius.
- Rebel by The Unknown Hanna hears the police siren and pulls over in her car
- Whatever You Want by The Preatures Emily & Caleb talk about Holbrook and Ali’s trial.